Donate to CTA

Community Tax Aid does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, and reprisal for previous civil rights activities. CTA will make every effort to provide reasonable accommodations to persons with physical disabilities, sensory loss, or limited English proficiency. These accommodations will be provided at no cost to the taxpayer.

  1. Your valid photo ID (and your spouse’s photo ID if filing a joint return)
  2. If you (your spouse if filing jointly) or your dependents have a Social Security Number, you must provide ONE of the following items for each individual:
    • Social Security Card, Social Security Statement [1099-SSA], or letter or notice from the Social Security Administration showing both SSN and name.
    • Letter or notice from the IRS that contains your full name and your full social security number
  3. If you (your spouse if filing jointly), or your dependents, have an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), you must bring the letter or a copy of the letter issuing or renewing your ITIN.
    • If you need to prepare a tax return in order to apply for an ITIN, we can prepare the tax return. It is helpful if you can first obtain assistance filling out the ITIN application (Form W7). The following organizations can provide assistance:
  4. Income information for dependents. If you claim dependents on your tax return, and they had any income during the year, also bring their income documents, or a list of their types of income and amounts.
  5. If you purchased health insurance through the exchange/marketplace, bring form 1095-A.
  6. W2, 1099, or other income statements from working. All forms you might have received for doing work during the year.  These forms could be W-2, 1099-NEC, 1099-K, 1099-MISC, or 1099-G (for unemployment compensation). If you used an app such as Uber or DoorDash to work, bring any tax summaries available from the app and a list of gross payments and fees deducted.
  7. All forms pertaining to retirement income, usually on a 1099-R or 1099-CSA
  8. All information regarding Social Security payments received during the year. If you received social security retirement or social security disability (not SSI) you need to bring the 1099-SSA that was issued. If you did not receive your 1099-SSA, you can contact the Social Security Administration at 800-772-1213 or
  9. If you own your home, bring the amount of real estate taxes you paid.  You need this information even if you do not itemize.
  10. Any other income records (such as a statement from your bank showing the interest you received during the year)
  11. Records of expenses for tax credits and deductions such as the name, address and taxpayer identification number of a child care provider
  12. Records of student loan payments
  13. Records of payments for educational expenses, such as college tuition
  14. A copy of your prior-year tax return, if you have it.  This is very important if you itemized in last year.
  15. If filing a joint return, both of you must be present
  16. If you want to receive your refund faster and/or would like to have it sent directly to your bank account so you don’t have to worry about a lost or stolen refund check:  bring an original or copy of a check, or contact your bank to get the routing number and account number.  If you only have a savings account, contact your bank to get the routing number and account number.
  17. If you moved to a new state during the tax year, the date you moved to the new state.